Thinkpad R40 and ACPI problems on current

From: Martin <nakal_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:03:06 +0200
Hi,

I have never seen my Notebook shutting down correctly,
e.a. I can see the line "Powering system off using ACPI"
and it stays there. Well, it's not critical, because I
can still press the power button. But I think it has
generally problems with ACPI.

This is what I get when booting current (dmesg):

acpi0: <IBM    TP-1P   > on motherboard
acpi_ec0: <embedded controller: ECDT, GPE 0x1c, GLK> port 0x66,0x62 on
acpi0
pcibios: BIOS version 2.10
Using $PIR table, 12 entries at 0xc00fded0
    ACPI-1287: *** Error: Method execution failed
[\\_SB_.PCI0.USB7._INI] (Node
0xc25cd820), AE_AML_REGION_LIMIT
acpi0: power button is handled as a fixed feature programming model.
Timecounter "ACPI-fast" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0x1008-0x100b on acpi0
acpi_cpu0: <CPU> port 0x530-0x537 on acpi0
acpi_tz0: <thermal zone> port 0x530-0x537 on acpi0
acpi_lid0: <Control Method Lid Switch> on acpi0
acpi_button0: <Sleep Button> on acpi0
[...]
acpi_cmbat0: <Control method Battery> on acpi0
acpi_cmbat1: <Control method Battery> on acpi0
acpi_acad0: <AC adapter> on acpi0
[...]
acpi_cpu: throttling enabled, 8 steps (100% to 12.5%), currently 100.0%
[...]
acpi0: AcpiGetSleepTypeData failed - AE_NOT_FOUND

This is _after_ flashing with the latest BIOS. Before flashing,
I always got about 2 screens of these "Method execution failed"
messages. After flashing the BIOS the functionality hasn't changed
at all, but at least these ugly errors disappeared.

I can see the battery status correctly in Gnome2, for example,
but what does not work is the sleep and the power button. The
sleep button just gives me a message on the console.

Playing with "acpiconf -s" will make the notebook hang.

I want to give you information about this notebook and its
ACPI capabilities, but I have no idea what's the best way
(acpidump?).

I could not find any useful hints online and I don't know if
it's IBM's fault. Can someone explain what's going on?

Martin