RE: buildworld failure

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:13:45 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Mike Jakubik wrote:

> > Depends on how much work is involved in fixing it, and what the negative
> > impact is of leaving it.  Do you know what the impact is?
>
> 	I think the impact is more social. People will try to compile
> world and get failures. Specially people coming from the 4.x branch,
> where this sort of think never occurred. If this is the only thing
> preventing a clean makeworld with -O2, I think its worth taking a look
> at.
>
> 	I've been using freebsd since the 2.x days, I have always
> compiled world and ports with -O2, and never had any instability issues
> due to the optimizations. I have switched back to -O and
> -march=pentium4, the buildworld finished ok.

Well, it looks to me like the pam_echo code is correct, although I'm
willing to admit I'm not a expert in the code in question -- it's just not
optimizable to the desired level of optimization due to the interfaces
used.  As such, the real problem is either than the warning is generated,
or that the warning causes a build failure...

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories