Re: fxp0: device timeout in -current from 31.8.

From: Tobias Roth <roth_at_iam.unibe.ch>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:19:00 +0200
On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 01:55:49PM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> I tried to install FreeBSD 5.1-current from 30.07. and 31.08
> on my wifes machine. Unluckily I experience problems with the
> fxp driver.
>
> On google I found a similar report from June 3rd.
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-June/004739.html
>
> What I tried: since USB and fxp driver shared the same IRQ I
> disabled USB in the BIOS and made sure, that the NIC has an
> IRQ of its own, but still no success.

i had those problems on my IBM T30 and found two ways to solve
(circumvent?) them:

1) removing devices from the kernel until there were enough free irqs
that things worked out together with the irq assigning the bios does.

2) play with the bios irq settings until the irq distribution was right
and all my devices were working at the same time.

it probably will not help you but here you find the irq settings that
worked for me (under IBM T30):

http://gerda.univie.ac.at/freebsd-laptops/

These problems with fxp0 timeouts started for me with the transition from
5.0 to 5.1 RELEASE. It is somewhat difficult to do a diagnosis of the
problem, as i also did a bios upgrade during that time and other people
report they have no problems with similar hardware (although I suspect
different kernel configs here).

greets, t.