Re: Filesystem problem

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:39:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Kevin Bockman wrote:

> Anyone have any suggestions?  I can not control-C out of 'man vmstat'.
> While doing 'make' in /usr/src/sys/boot it was hanging on as, when I
> restarted it, it got to i386/libi386 and will not do anything else.  I'm
> running that through serial console, it let me ^C out of that.  I tried
> going into single user mode and running umount, now it just sits there
> and I can't ^C.  I have no ideas, this was all working yesterday!! :-)
>
> Any ideas on what else to check or other helpful hints would help
> bunches.
>
> Sorry for the cross-posts.  Just not sure where to go with this one.

Could you show the output of:

  ps axlwww

when things are hanging?  I'm particularly interested in the WCHAN entries
for hung processes and kernel threads.  That entry is the wait channel for
kernel thread sleeps, which should give us some sense of what they're
waiting for.  If it's a UFS bug of some sort, you'll likely see a lot of
processes blocked in "inode" -- this could also happen in a hardware
scenario, but should still be useful. In addition, do you have the entire
serial console log output since boot?  It would be interesting to know if
you've had kernel log messages regarding your hard disk controller, etc.
This might help distinguish a hardware problem from a software problem.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories