Re: Anyone ported HCF/HSF modem drivers to FreeBSD?

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:59:51 +0930
On Monday 01 September 2003 08:41, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>    Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:02:36 -0700 (PDT)
>    From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
>
>    I asked this on -hackers a little while ago but no response.  I'm
> curious if anyone has made an attempt to port these Winmodem drivers.
>    http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/
>
> I did look into it, but concluded that it was pretty hopeless.  For
> starters, the DSP routines in there seem to need the FPU, and FreeBSD
> doesn't seem to allow that in the kernel.  Apart from that, almost

I don't think that would be _that_ hard to fix at least for that specific
driver, but I'm not 100% sure.

> 100% of the code is in the binary-only modules, including a lot of
> Linux-specific code, which makes it very hard to see how the code is
> supposed to interface with the kernel.

Have you seen these drivers ->
http://www.smlink.com/main/index1.php?ln=en&main_id=32

It seems to support a lot of software modems, ie
HAMR5600 based AMR/CNR/MDC/ACR modem cards on the following Southbridge
chips:
- Intel ICH0, ICH2
- Via 686A, 686B, 8231, 8233
- SiS 630
- ALI 1535.
SmartPCI56, SmartPCI561, SmartPCI563 based PCI modem cards.
SmartUSB56 based USB modem.

And the binary code appears to only call shim routines for which the source is
available.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5