is there a "knob" for devfs rules?

From: John Reynolds <johnjen_at_reynoldsnet.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:44:06 -0700
Hi all, in debugging /dev/usb* and /dev/ugen* permissions problems so that I
could access my digital camera as a mere-mortal user, I came across this
posting to -questions:

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1203173+1206388+/usr/local/www/db/text/2003/freebsd-questions/20030622.freebsd-questions

Indeed what Jesse posted worked like a charm:

  devfs ruleset 10
  devfs rule add path 'ugen*' mode 664

Since the ugen* devices are "dynamic," putting entries in /etc/devfs.conf
doesn't work unless you "restart" devfs once the camera is turned on. Thus, the
rule above works nicely.

He had asked in the mail where the "appropriate" place for these commands
should be, but the thread ended there. So, I pose the question to this list. I
didn't see anything in /etc/defaults/rc.conf regarding devfs.

So, would the "appropriate" thing be to create a .sh file in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d which contained the rule commands one would want and just
have them be applied via this mechanism once it was very clear that devfs was
up and running, etc.?

Thanks,

-Jr

--
John & Jennifer Reynolds  johnjen at reynoldsnet.org        www.reynoldsnet.org
Sr. Physical Design Engineer - WCCG/CCE PDE     jreynold at sedona.ch.intel.com
Running FreeBSD since 2.1.5-RELEASE.               FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!
"Unix is user friendly, it's just particular about the friends it chooses."