Re: BTX halts installing 5.x

From: Scott Lambert <lambert_at_lambertfam.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:16:07 -0500
On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:11:18AM -0600, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD on a Dual Pentium Pro 200mhz 512K cache
> system and I am getting the following error:
>
> CD Loader 1.01

<SNIP>

> BTX halted

<SNIP booting 4.9 cd works 5.anything doesn't>

> Intel PR440FX Mainboard
> Dual Pentium Pro 200mhz 512K Cache CPUs
> Intel EtherExpress Pro LAN adapter
> Adaptec 7880 SCSI controller

I have the above running 5.1-CURRENT, but I got there with a source
upgrade from 4.8.  Works fine.

> 4.3 gig IBM Wide SCSI-2 Disks

I'm not actually using the SCSI controller.  I, instead, have a Promise
IDE RAID controller.  The disks are fast enough for the CPU.

> I've tried a couple different video cards, Cirrus Logis and SIS PCI
> 320 Megs of Registered ECC SDRAM

ATI Rage video and I'm currently down to 128MB 50ns ECC EDO
(SDRAM)? RAM.  I was getting random failures and the BIOS had logged
some ECC evevents on the 64MB stick.

I also have a : bt0: BT-948 FW Rev. 5.06I Ultra Narrow SCSI Host Adapter
to run the : sa0: <HP C1533A A612> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device

My Adaptec controller is completely idle.

> I've tried googling for a solution for this as well as perused the
> -CURRENT archives and haven't seen anything relevent to this issue.

If you don't get it resolved, I can try booting a 5.x install cd on it's
twin brother, 1 CPU, no Promise, no BT-948, which is sitting unpowered
at the house, before I scavenge the RAM for this box.

lambert_at_lambertfam.org