Re: How to disable devices in -current / 5.2-BETA?

From: Mathew Kanner <mat_at_cnd.mcgill.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:47:33 -0500
On Dec 02, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20031202102446.S57336_at_pooker.samsco.home>
>             Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org> writes:
> : However, having a general mechanism for disabling newbus devices would be
> : really nice.
>
> Agreed.  But today and 5.2 you lose.  However, it isn't easy.  What
> does disabled mean?  Don't attach?  Don't even probe?  If you don't
> probe, then how do you know that the device is aac.0?  If you do
> probe, then you get ISA probe routines called that can be
> 'destructive'.

	2 cents from a newbie.  Have a pci_null driver that uses a
tunable to probe and match at a higher priority.  You would have to
know what you are looking for to avoid it, but for someone who knows
what they are doing, it would work.

	Please don't shoot me for being stupid :)

	--mat

--
	The state has no business in the bedrooms of the
	nation.