"The World" and MIT krb5

From: Galen Sampson <galen_sampson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:52:27 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,

I have installed the MIT krb5 port.  I installed this port and left
KRB5_HOME=/usr/local (this is where I installed the port) in make.conf.  I
assumed that building the world would use this variable and link the world
(ssh[d], telnet[d], login, ...) against the libraries installed by the port.
That didn't seem to happen.  I didn't want to define MAKE_KERBEROS5 in
make.conf because I already installed the port and I thought that defining
MAKE_KERBEROS5 would overwrite some of the port.

1) Are the worlds daemons written to link against kerberos (as apposed to the
   heimdal replacements replacing their traditional counterparts)?
2) If 1), is there a way to link the world against the port? If so, how?
3) If 2) is possible, is it a bad idea?
4) Are people that use the MIT kerberos port replacing their daemons (telnet
   [d], login, ftp[d]) with the ports versions with good success?

I'd imagine that since the port is installed in /usr/local things might not
work so great if /usr/local can't be accessed (because of mount failure, etc.)
unless the daemons are statically linked (NO THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT STATIC
LINKING, THIS IS AN OBSERVATION ABOUT THIS PORT AND A POSSIBLE ANSWER TO 3).

Regards,
Galen Sampson