A word of support for Nate Lawson...

From: Michael Smith <DrZiplok_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:28:33 -0800
Folks,
   I've said this to Nate in person, but I think that perhaps it's worth
making the point to a wider audience.

   I'm really impressed, and very happy from FreeBSD's perspective that
Nate's working as hard and as successfully as he has on ACPI support.
 From a technical standpoint, it's a difficult problem even with Intel's
immeasurable contribution to the effort.

   However, it's on the where-does-this-affect-FreeBSD front that ACPI
is really significant.  Without working ACPI support, FreeBSD will not
run properly on a wide range of modern hardware.  If that should come to
pass, the system will have degenerated to the bad old days where you had
to have The Right Motherboard and The Right SCSI Controller and The
Right Disk and The Right Mouse.

   Don't take this as an attack on ACPI's detractors, or on the FreeBSD
developers that aren't working on the code; I just want to offer my
thanks and admiration to Nate (and for that matter all of the acpi-jp
folks, Intel's contributors very much included) for the work that's in
a very real and concrete sense keeping FreeBSD alive for tomorrow.

  = Mike