Re: please test pcm channel patch

From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse_at_wingnet.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:16:18 -0500
On Thursday 04 December 2003 18:02, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> > > Bah!  I got 30min into playing tunes and picked the same LOR up not
> > > more than 5min after sending this. :(  Sorry for the false alarm.
> > >
> > > acquiring duplicate lock of same type: "pcm record channel"
> > >  1st pcm0:record:0 _at_ /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pcm/dsp.c:144
> > >  2nd pcm0:play:0 _at_ /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pcm/dsp.c:146
> > > Stack backtrace:
> >
> > 	Sean,
> > 	I found the mistake, I assumed that a variable was initialized
> > when it wasn't.  Sorry for asking you to test a stupid patch before.
> > Please try this one.
>
> Haven't had a LOR in the last 24hrs, I think you got a winner here.

Ditto here too (except it wasn't an LOR in the first place). I've been running
this patch since Friday with no backtraces and no problems. Here's my
pcm dmesg entry for some more info about my sound hardware:

pcm0: <Intel ICH3 (82801CA)> port 0x18c0-0x18ff,0x1c00-0x1cff irq 5 at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: <Cirrus Logic CS4299 AC97 Codec>

I'd also like to note that before this patch (5.1-RELEASE and the original
5.2-BETA) my XMMS would periodically halt every 10 or 20 minutes with
a message about /dev/dsp0.0 not being a valid device or something. I
haven't seen this behavior at all since installing this patch. My music has
been streaming for 4 hours straight with no interruptions!

The whole XMMS halting music thing has been incredibly annoying ever
since I switched to 5.1-RELEASE back in June 2003. It's very sweet to
know that I played a small part in squashing that bug.

Thanks for the patch! Has it been committed yet? I'd love to see this make
it into 5.2-RELEASE.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,