Re: Status of wi(4)

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:30:39 -0800
On Monday 08 December 2003 11:00 am, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> > > No! lucents even with the newest firmware 8.x.x still doesn't work in
> > > either adhoc mode. I can get it to contact an AP but thats all..
> >
> > My last testing of wi for Prism and Lucent both worked with adhoc mode.
> > I am aware of your issues with adhoc mode for atwi cards.  I will test
> > again but, as usual, details are more useful than "it don't work".
>
> Well, I put two of these:
>
> wi0: <Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE> at port 0x100-0x13f irq 11 function
> 0 co nfig 1 on pccard0
> wi0: 802.11 address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> wi0: using Lucent Technologies, WaveLAN/IEEE
> wi0: Lucent Firmware: Station (8.10.1)
> wi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
>
> in laptops running 5.2-soontobe, and they can't find each other nor talk
> adhoc to the other even if one is running win2K. Running both in win2k
> works and so does talking to an AP.
> The problems with atwi that you are referring to are very semilar so to
> me it suggests our 80211 code which is common has something todo with the
> problems at hand.

And I just setup two laptops; one with a Senao (Prism 2, STA firmware 1.4.9)
card and the other with a Lucent card (STA firmware 6.6.1).  Each was
configured in adhoc mode and a fixed IP address.  They found each other fine
and ping and netperf work perfectly.  No WEP though I doubt that would
matter.

One laptop is running current from today.  The other is running an older
system from when I last chased these complaints (I'm updating to verify it's
not got a local fix).  I know you've had ongoing adhoc mode problems and I'm
aware of issues for devices that depend on the 802.11 layer to handle
management frames, but I've always been under the impression the wi driver
worked ok since my last fix (rev 1.7 if net80211/ieee80211_output.c).

	Sam