Re: strange pids under heavy load (5.2-RC)

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:49:53 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Gordon Bergling wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I run 'make -j 32 buildkernel' to stressing my fresh 5.2-RC installation a
> little bit and saw some strange pids in a 'ps ax'. (The output of 'ps
> ax' is stripped down.)

> 24111  p2  S+     0:00.81 make -j 32 buildkernel KERNCONF=NEMESIS-UP
>
>     0  p2  ZW+    0:00.00  (sh)

These are normal. make just hasn't gotten around to clearing these yet.
make spawns and reaps processes in groups rather than keeping the -j
number busy at all times.

Note that -j32 is much more than the system can paralleize.  I start
getting dimishing returns past -j4, even on dual proc systems.  When you
hit the rescue build you will be SORRY :)

If you want to do load tests, launch multiple parallel buildworlds with
differing MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX.