Re: fsck sig 11 (cannot alloc 4216257920 bytes for inoinfo)

From: Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu_at_apropo.ro>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 00:00:04 +0200
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:38:32 -0800 (PST)
Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>
> > I've sent the mesage on question with no reply so I'm trying my luck
> > here. I am able to reproduce both dump/restore and the fsck errors, even
> > after a fdisk-ing, labeling and newfs-ing (from the sysinstall).
> >
> > The nice thing is that everithing seems to be ok (e.g. on new system
> > install it comes up and run OK) untill the first unclean shutdown, when
> > fsck complaines about the UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY.
>
> I think you caused some major braindamage by copying over a running
> system. You should boot the original disks (ad3s2a), re-newfs the ad0
> partitions, mount them (example is /newroot for the a partition, make
> directories as needed and mount other partitions),

Maybe I wasn't clea. This is what I did:

1. Booted from CDROM, newfs, install minimal, etc.

2. Booted from ad0 to see the system up.

3. Booted from ad3 and dump/restore the ad3 partitions to ad0 using the
-L swich for dump, as the partition ad3 partition where mounted.

> then copy the data over
> using tar instead of dump/restore.  Tar like this should be close enough:
>
> tar -C / -cpf - | tar -C /newroot/ -xpvf -

The FAQ explicitly says not to use tar but dump/restore. "You should
never use anything but dump(8) and restore(8) to move the root
filesystem"

> edit /newroot/etc/fstab, change entries
>
> Unmount the new partitions then reboot to the new disks. If it works,
> you're all good. If not you have a fallback.

I'm writting now using the fallback :)

> I'm not sure dump/restore works to disks of different sizes.

Again the faq ...
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NEW-HUGE-DISK

Am I missing anything here ?

--