Re: last cvs Makefile.inc1 errors

From: Barney Wolff <barney_at_databus.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:07:47 -0500
On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 06:59:30PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:

> > I can think of two reasons:  First, the separate steps make it possible
> > to do make reinstallkernel when one does not want to overwrite kernel.old.
>
> Your sequence is:
>     make buildworld
>     make buildkernel
>     make reinstallkernel
>     make installworld
>
> which is not what we suggest in UPDATING and not what I have above.
> Please stick to the exact sequence above.

Well of course I normally do make installkernel.  But when, as not
infrequently with -current, the new kernel doesn't work, it's just as
well that I'm not in the habit of doing make kernel, so there's a chance
I'll remember to do make reinstallkernel next time, and preserve my
working kernel.old.  (Yes, I often rename kernel.old to kernel.lkg to
avoid the chance for error.)

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.