Re: fsck sig 11 (cannot alloc 4216257920 bytes for inoinfo)

From: Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu_at_apropo.ro>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:33:51 +0200
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 16:16:16 -0800 (PST)
Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>
> > Maybe I wasn't clea. This is what I did:
>
> You weren't :)

Well, I guess I should use more often sleep(1) :)

> > 1. Booted from CDROM, newfs, install minimal, etc.
> >
> > 2. Booted from ad0 to see the system up.
> >
> > 3. Booted from ad3 and dump/restore the ad3 partitions to ad0 using the
> > -L swich for dump, as the partition ad3 partition where mounted.
>
> sounds good.
>
> > > then copy the data over
> > > using tar instead of dump/restore.  Tar like this should be close enough:
> > >
> > > tar -C / -cpf - | tar -C /newroot/ -xpvf -
> >
> > The FAQ explicitly says not to use tar but dump/restore. "You should
> > never use anything but dump(8) and restore(8) to move the root
> > filesystem"
>
> Thats only if you care about hardlinks and file flags (schg).  It doesn't
> cause a wrecked system, though.

I know I is not supposed to break something that deep.

> > > edit /newroot/etc/fstab, change entries
>
> Did you remember to do this? If not you may have been fscking with the
> wrong fsck, and fsck from 4.x will trip over a UFS2 filesystem that a 5.x
> install would have created.

The system on my small HDD - ad3 is an 5.1-RELEASE-p11 (it was p10 at
that time but that doesn't make any differnce). I've used sysinstall
from a 5.1R CD-ROM. The rest of the work was done booting from ad3 -
5.1-RELEASE-p10. This includes fsck-ing and I am not aware of
anythingthat will prevent a fsck from p10 to work on a 5.1R filesystem.

I wanted to duplicate my working system cvsup and try 5.2BETA while
keeping a working system on my small HDD - that's one ofthe reasons I
wanted to put /home on it one partition.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user