Re: ULE and current.

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:05:16 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 08:30:13AM -0500, Jeff Roberson
> <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net> wrote:
>
> > The plan is to leave ULE as the default until we get to 5.3 at which point
> > we will decide whether or not it is production quality.  The most
> > untest workload that I know of is on massive multiuser systems with lots
> > of interactive tasks.  If anyone has such a system, I would love to hear
> > of feedback while running ULE.  For anyone else, if your workload is
> > either improved or hindered, I'd appreciate a mail with the a description
> > of your workload, your hardware, behavior with ULE, and behavior with
> > 4BSD.
>
> I have one noticeable annoyance with ULE while setiathome is
> running. It takes sometimes a second or two more to open mailbox
> (maildir format) with several hundreds of messages. If setiathome is
> stopped it will not happen, the mailbox will be opened instantly.
> The system is dual PIII-500, sources and kernel from Nov 27, two
> setiathome processes running at nice 20.

Thanks, this sounds bad.  We must be marking your mail program as
non-interactive while it's starting up.  What is the program?  Oh, and on
a dual system?  This is most suspicious.  Do you have any other tasks
running at the same time?  This looks more like the long term balancer has
a problem as well.

I actually just made some changes there.  Can you update your sources as
well?

Thanks for the report!
Jeff