System install panics when using softupdates with /

From: Mike Jakubik <mikej_at_rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:46:22 -0500
Hello,

I have seen this bug for a while, and was hoping it would be seen and fixed
by now, but I just tried 5.2-RC1 and it seems to be still there. The problem
occurs when booting off the cd, and using expert mode to install FreeBSD,
which lets you define your own parameters, including file system semantics.
When setting up the file system with / taking up all of the label, and
softupdates enabled, the installation crashes when the file coping begins.
Here is what I have jotted down from the crash:

--cut-here-

fault virtual address   = 0x24
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
current process         = 28 (swi8:tty:sio clock)
trap number			= 12

--cut-here--

I have noticed this bug since early 5.1 ISO releases.

Thanks.