Re: 5.2-RELEASE TODO

From: Dan Foster <dsf_at_globalcrossing.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:35:14 +0000
Hot Diggety! Yan V. Batuto was rumored to have written:

> Just my $0.02: Problem #1 is not confined to -CURRENT too.
> I hear crackles in the output sound on my old pentium running 4.9-stable. And
> soundcard there is "simple SB16" too -- ISA CL4135 (afair).
> (Sorry, I can't reach it in the moment to get full dmesg.)
> It looks like crackles occurs during disk activity -- they sounds exactly
> synchronously with IDE LED blinking. I tried to switch vchans on and off,
> but without any audible changes.

Crackling, from my understanding, usually means timing problems...
especially if it can't get enough time to do its stuff.

In your case, perhaps some sort of pre-emption due to servicing ATA disk
requests, indirectly causing sound driver timing issues?

-Dan