Re: 5.2-RELEASE TODO

From: Yan V. Batuto <batuto_at_hotbox.ru>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:58:58 +0300
> > Just my $0.02: Problem #1 is not confined to -CURRENT too.
> > I hear crackles in the output sound on my old pentium running 4.9-stable. And
> > soundcard there is "simple SB16" too -- ISA CL4135 (afair).
> > (Sorry, I can't reach it in the moment to get full dmesg.)
> > It looks like crackles occurs during disk activity -- they sounds exactly
> > synchronously with IDE LED blinking. I tried to switch vchans on and off,
> > but without any audible changes.
>
> Crackling, from my understanding, usually means timing problems...
> especially if it can't get enough time to do its stuff.
>
> In your case, perhaps some sort of pre-emption due to servicing ATA disk
> requests, indirectly causing sound driver timing issues?
May be. But why it occurs only with selected cards?..
I tried to play with pci aureal 8820 card and had a fresh sound in contrast to cl4135,
but snd_au8820.ko, based on ancient binaries released by dying company
is too buggy and unstable. :(
So, I'd say that may be something wrong in "simple SB16" code...
I'll be very appreciate If anybody suggest me any idea about how and where I should dig this trouble.

Yan.