Re: acpi and sound

From: sebastian ssmoller <sebastian.ssmoller_at_gmx.net>
Date: 16 Dec 2003 21:13:16 +0000
hi,
thx for all ur hints, unfortunately none of it helped :(

as i already wrote in one of my previous mails:
- with or without acpi : no sound
- witout acpi pccard does not work properly so disabling acpi is no
  option for me

i tried kompiling pcm into there kernel and loading it as module : same
result - it does not work

i also tried sbc with doesnt work too for me - i still guess snd_ich
should be the correct module - but doesnt work either.

my system is asus m2400n laptop and my bios has nearly no option :( so i
cannot tune anything there - i guess it is fully pnp bios

i looked at /dev/sndstat - it always tells me the same :
----
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
-----
... so no devices detected i guess

finally today i looked into the handbook again and tried some hints
written there:
-----
16.2.1.4 Generic Support
For PnP ISA or PCI cards, you will need to add:

device pcm

to your kernel configuration file. If you have a non-PnP ISA sound card
that does not have a bridge driver, you will need to add:

device pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0

to your kernel configuration file. You may need to change the IRQ or the
other settings to match your card.

16.2.1.5 Onboard Sound
Some systems with built-in motherboard sound devices may require the
following option in your kernel configuration:

options PNPBIOS
----
unfortunately none of these worked for me:

when setting pcm0 with parameters i get the error:
devices with zero units are not likely to be correct

when setting options PNPBIOS i get:
unknown option "PNPBIOS"

is this option removed in current ? if so one should update the
handbook, or ?

thx again for ur hints
seb