Re: services under /usr/local/etc/rc.d run twice on boot

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:48:51 -0600
> Thanks a lot. It does solve the problem. But I wonder why freebsd
> doesn't remove those obsolete files automatically after each upgrade.
> It would make the system cleaner and avoid such difficult to track
> problems.

Most people modify their files in /etc. Distinguishing between old
unmodified and old modified files would be very difficult; especially
considering the fact that people can upgrade between many different
versions. In the end you would still need to run a mergemaster like
program because merging modified files would require human interaction.

In my opinion mergemaster is good for the complete opposite reason you
stated. For me it helps me keep my /etc filesystem clean from older
stale files. This wasn't a very difficult problem to track down either;
it's actually a very common issue because many people don't pay
attention to the UPDATING file.

--
Ryan "leadZERO" Sommers
Gamer's Impact President