Re: services under /usr/local/etc/rc.d run twice on boot

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:22:54 +1030
On Monday 22 December 2003 01:18, Ryan Sommers wrote:
> > Thanks a lot. It does solve the problem. But I wonder why freebsd
> > doesn't remove those obsolete files automatically after each upgrade.
> > It would make the system cleaner and avoid such difficult to track
> > problems.
>
> Most people modify their files in /etc. Distinguishing between old
> unmodified and old modified files would be very difficult; especially
> considering the fact that people can upgrade between many different
> versions. In the end you would still need to run a mergemaster like
> program because merging modified files would require human interaction.

Heh, well you know both this problem and some annoying aspects of mergemaster
could be solved by installing a copy of /etc that isn't touched or used, and
then mergemaster (or the next installworld) can do 3 way diffs to see if you
modified the files.
This would allow installworld to delete files you didn't touch that
disappeared between releases and would allow merge master to ask much fewer
questions.

I see there is etcmerge in ports which is a semi-automated 3 way diff, but I
am still coming to grips with how to use it properly.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5