RE: PII SMP system hangs during boot with ACPI enabled

From: John Polstra <jdp_at_polstra.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:28:13 -0800 (PST)
On 02-Dec-2003 John Baldwin wrote:

> On 23-Nov-2003 John Polstra wrote:
>> I have an old dual PII/400 system that I'm trying to set up as a
>> -current scratchbox.  The motherboard is a Tyan S1836DLUAN with the
>> Intel 440BX chipset.  I upgraded the BIOS to the latest from Tyan's
>> web site.  It is supposed to support ACPI.  I'm using -current from
>> around noon Pacific time, November 23 (today).
>>
>> The system boots and runs fine if I disable ACPI either in loader.conf
>> or in the BIOS, but if ACPI is enabled it hangs fairly late in the
>> boot, right after these messages:
>>
>> lo0: bpf attached
>> acpi_cpu0: set speed to 100.0%
>> acpi_cpu: throttling enabled, 8 steps (100% to 12.5%), currently 100.0%
[...]
> Try http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/acpi_irq.patch

Bingo!  Looks like you nailed it.  I got home from vacation, updated
to the latest -current, confirmed it was still broken, and applied
your patch (which still applied cleanly).  I had to change a couple of
identifiers to make it compile:

    APIC_TRIGGER_LEVEL     ==> TRIGGER_LEVEL
    APIC_POLARITY_ACTIVEHI ==> POLARITY_ACTIVE_HIGH

I assume those were just typos, and I hope I guessed the right
replacements.  Anyway, now the system boots and runs fine with ACPI
enabled, and things like "shutdown -p" do the right thing.  Thanks!
Your patch looks like a keeper.

John