Re: mergemaster feature suggestion...

From: Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen_at_ispro.net.tr>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:37:41 +0200
I am sorry. I didnt want to cause this kind of discussion to begin.

But also, does binary upgrade remove older files from /etc? I tried that
only 1 time and it didnt even install half of the files required in /etc
directory :) for example sshd conf files etc. were missing. Then I
decided that I will not do that unless I absolutely need to.

I use build/install-world because I dont want to spend so much bandwidth
and I prefer to get latest patches etc. easily. I want to have the
possibility to go back to a date later on if I have a problem with the
latest sources. So cvsup does that for me easily.

About those old files, I think any old file which doesnt exist in newer
release does not only waste space and cause confusion. Also it might
cause security problems. Considering, a problem in a file/binary
whatever which does not exist in newer versions wouldnt be fixed by the
freebsd developers. However it is a small possibility.

I often thought of a way to remove older files. I even considered making
a fresh install of the latest version of FreeBSD to a test machine and
compare the file structures to remove files from the actual machines.
But there can be an utility to do that right? If there is an utility to
compare the files and install (mergemaster) there can be an utility to
remove the older files also, or this can be implemented inside
mergemaster as an option/

Evren