Re: upgrade from 5.1p10 to 5.2 trouble

From: Roman Streltsov <warlock_at_voip.kg>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:42:51 +0500
On Tuesday 23 December 2003 02:43, Doug White wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Roman Streltsov wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> > I just try to build world after recent CVSup for 5.2 from 5.1-RELEASE-p10
> > Within make builworld I had interrupts with "Signal 4" or "Signal 10"
> > messages without any details in different places every time.
> >
> > But 'make -j4 buildworld' works fine. (I have a single CPU box)
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Bad memory? Temperature?
>
> Signal 4 is SIGILL, Illegal instruction.  Signal 10 is bus error. Were
> you getting any kernel messages while these errors were occuring?

Really nop! I constantly upgraded this host from 5.0 and now I use the host
like developing server for our C/C++ project (libraries and other tools look
fine, with one excpetion - I use gmake. Also I can't think bad on CPU
temperature or bad memory). I haven't faced with this behavior never before.

Example of issue:
===> lib/libncurses
/usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libncurses created for /usr/src/lib/libncurses
===> lib/libnetgraph
*** Signal 4

Stop in /usr/src/lib/libnetgraph.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib.
*** Error code 1

Yet one:
===> gnu/usr.bin/gperf
/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf created for /usr/src/gnu/
usr.bin/gperf
===> gnu/usr.bin/gperf/doc
*** Signal 4

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/doc.
*** Error code 1

Is there path to make things clear by debug messages?

It look more like troubles in disk operations (softupdates?)
but gcc -j4 do disk operation more extensive
fsck passes through partition without errors.

But I still haven't any explisit hypotesis.

Thanx
Roman