Re: 5.2-rc1 Install and USB mouse problems

From: Lars Köller <Lars_at_koellers.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:37:13 +0100

>> Hmm, I don't really understand that, cause the downloaded image burn to
>> a cdrw don't boot. If I use the same cd and rerecord it with
>>
>> mkisofs .... -b /cdrom/floppies/boot.flp /cdrom
>
>Ah, so the controller isn't picking up non-emulated cds.  If its a
>separate controller you might check for a firmware update, or if its
>integrated check for a system BIOS update.  The systems I have with
>embedded 2940s boot non-emulated discs fine.

It's an separate PCI card and it has the latest Adaptec BIOS 2.20.

>> I've tracked it down. The problem was induced due to mess in the
>> boot loader and BIOS disk order. The smart boot loader was not loaded
>> from the first BIOS disk (ad0) but from the first SCSI disk. So it
>> thinks the ad disk was BIOS HD3 ......
>>
>> After fixing that all runs well out of the box! Sorry!
>
>Cool.

Yes thats really fine.

>> I've just trying to migrate my config and scripts from 4.9 to 5.2 so
>> I'm able to fix the xperfmon3 compile problem.
>>
>> However, the usb mouse didn't work. Booting in 4.9 all runs well. In
>> 5.2 the usbdev -v hangs about 5 seconds on the first hub. The mouse is
>> recognized, but the cursor didn't move. (I've also cvsup to the latest
>> sources and build my own kernel).
>
>Not sure here; the USB mouse on my home system (VIA KT400 chipset) works
>as expected. perhaps there are two mouseds running?

No, nothing in that area. At the moment I think it has to do with the
usb code in the 5.2 kernel. The problem is I don't have an idea how to
further debug.

Do you know an USB-coding-expert, who can debug this with me?
Would be nice to have a mouse even when changing to 5.2 ;-)

Best regards and merry christmas

Lars

--
Lars Köller
E-Mail: lars_at_koellers.net (LKoeller_at_FreeBSD.ORG)