Re: 5.2-rc1 Install and USB mouse problems

From: Lars Köller <Lars_at_koellers.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:13:25 +0100
Hello!

>>Not sure here; the USB mouse on my home system (VIA KT400 chipset) works
>>as expected. perhaps there are two mouseds running?
>
>No, nothing in that area. At the moment I think it has to do with the
>usb code in the 5.2 kernel. The problem is I don't have an idea how to
>further debug.
>
>Do you know an USB-coding-expert, who can debug this with me?
>Would be nice to have a mouse even when changing to 5.2 ;-)

I've further test the extra USB2+FW Combo card, and if I plug my mouse
there it will run in under 4.9 and 5.2.

However something in 5.2 has changed, which avoids a working usb mouse
with the onboard VIA usb port. The board is a Gigabyte GA6VXDC2 (SMP).
I've detached and reattached the mouse to the onboard usb bus, and see:

Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), VIA(0x0000),
rev 1.00
 port 1 addr 0 should never happen!
 port 2 powered

Attached are the dmesg.boot file for my 4.9 and 5.2 system and the
usbdevs -v output under 5.2 and 4.9. Have a look at the "shadow" device
in usbdev2-49.out after deconnecting the mouse from the PCI card usb
device and reconnect it to the onboard usb slot.

Perhaps someone can have a look at it.

Again best regards and merry christmas ;-)

Lars

--
Lars Köller
E-Mail: lars_at_koellers.net (LKoeller_at_FreeBSD.ORG)