Re: Plans for 5.3

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:35:47 -0800
On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 11:39:21PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> The things that need to happen in the next 4 weeks include:
>
> - Import a newer binutils package so that TLS work can start.  David
>   O'brien is the traditional toolchain person.  It would be good to get
>   a few other people involved with this so that David doesn't keep
>   burning out.

As I've mentioned several times to RE, TLS support depends on
non-toolchain MD bits.  A binutils import is not held up due to me being
"burned out".  There is no reason to create assembler and linker churn
right now until you have a plan for the implementation of the MD bits.
Please get commitments for every platform we have and a development
schedule and you'll get a binutils import.

> - Figure out the plan for a newer GDB that supports all of our Tier-1
>   platforms and can be extended to support KSE debugging.  A lot of
>   people have discussed this and I welcome more open discussion on it.

I just about have most of our local hacks ported to GDB 6.0.  However,
there is the huge need for a KSE knowledgeable person to design and
implement debugging support for KSE threading.