Re: Plans for 5.3

From: Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:50:00 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 11:39:21PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> > The things that need to happen in the next 4 weeks include:
> >
> > - Import a newer binutils package so that TLS work can start.  David
> >   O'brien is the traditional toolchain person.  It would be good to get
> >   a few other people involved with this so that David doesn't keep
> >   burning out.
>
> As I've mentioned several times to RE, TLS support depends on
> non-toolchain MD bits.  A binutils import is not held up due to me being
> "burned out".  There is no reason to create assembler and linker churn
> right now until you have a plan for the implementation of the MD bits.
> Please get commitments for every platform we have and a development
> schedule and you'll get a binutils import.
>

> > - Figure out the plan for a newer GDB that supports all of our Tier-1
> >   platforms and can be extended to support KSE debugging.  A lot of
> >   people have discussed this and I welcome more open discussion on it.
>
> I just about have most of our local hacks ported to GDB 6.0.  However,
> there is the huge need for a KSE knowledgeable person to design and
> implement debugging support for KSE threading.

It's on our list of things to do.  I like the approach that NetBSD
used by making a separate libpthread_dbg and having GDB use that.
It should be possible to do this so that libpthread_dbg can understand
any of our threading libraries without having GDB taught each one
of them.

If you or someone else wants to help tailor GDB for that under
FreeBSD, we (davidxu, deischen) should be able to flush out the
internal details in the debug library.

--
Dan Eischen