Re: [SOLVED] RE: [Backtrace] 4.9 and 5.1-RELEASE occasionly panic

From: Sten <sten_at_blinkenlights.nl>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:44:07 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > From:      Sten <sten_at_blinkenlights.nl>
> >
> > I'd really love getting rid of most hardcoded memory allocations
> > in the fbsd kernel, with the main bugger being NMBCLUSTERS,
> > which one always forgets about untill it's too late :(.
> > In solaris auto-tuning has been a top priority for a long while,
> > and propper dynamic tuning should get it right ( or even better )
> > in 99% of the cases. People with other needs should be able
> > to build a custom kernel.
>
>  You need _not_ to build custom FreeBSD kernel in order to increase
> NMBCLUSTERS. Both CURRENT and STABLE allows setting it from loader.conf:
>
> kern.ipc.nmbufs="32768"         # Number of mbufs
> kern.ipc.nmbclusters="16384"    # Number of mbuf clusters
>
> But yes, you have to reboot your system if you want to raise them.

true, but my point is that these kind of static limits are kind
of silly. I have a machine with plenty of memory, when I start doing
serious network traffic it dies, ecause freebsd doesn't use available
memory. Static allocations are suboptimal and in corner cases they
lead to loss of network connectivity or crashes.
I do know that fixing these problems is a lot of work, which is
why I suggested it as a goal for 6.0.

to throw in a fully innapropriate quote :

<Linus> In other words, it's ok for a developer to say: "Ok, what happens
if you do the above echo?" to figure out whether maybe the problem is due
to excessive spurgel-production in the VM frobnicator, but it is NOT OK to
say "you can tweak it for your use, so don't complain about the bad
behaviour"

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem