Re: file descriptor leak in 5.2-RC

From: Oliver Brandmueller <ob_at_e-Gitt.NET>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:23:29 +0100
Re.

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 03:05:12PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> can you please turn on INVARIANTS and build another kernel ?

Just about to do that.

> This most likely will panic your machine as it might trigger the
> KASSERT() in ffree (kern_descrip.c). a show locks and where would
> maybe halep the right people.

Well, the machine has a serial console; I hope I do not have to go to
the office then ;-)

> 1) is anybody _not_ running an i386 or MP machine ?

Well, I have only the given config: dual Xeon plus HTT (4 procs
virtual). Might it help to turn of HTT?

> 2) is anybody using MAC ?

options UFS_ACL is in the kernel, but I don't use anything like that,
the setup is pretty plain and my kernel differs from GENERIC in removing
unneccesary devices and adding the NO_SWAPPING option, since I don't
have any swap space.

> 3) has anybody noticed this before on 5.x ?

I did not have the setup running on 4-STABLE - sorry. I'm a little bit
worried up running the machine on 4-STABLE; but since the BIOS offers
something like "OS is not ACPI aware" I guess I will have no big
troubles.

[several minutes later]

OK, I booted a kernel with INVARIANTS. At least in 10 minutes of feeding
mail into the machine it did not panic. It is a lot slower (although I
do not see the CPU time going up too much, it might be an I/O related
issue). The mailfeed I give to the machine is a copy of a real mailfeed,
I cannot let this feed up for hours in this configuration, because I'm
going to build a backlog on the production server and put too much extra
load on it.

The problem (of course) still exists. What can I do to give more
information now?

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |