Re: file descriptor leak in 5.2-RC

From: Oliver Brandmueller <ob_at_e-Gitt.NET>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 01:15:30 +0100
Hi.

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 10:51:46PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> I really don't know...
>
> The most suspect places are calls to dup(2)/dup2(2), close(2), exec(2)
> [for close on exec filedescriptors], exit(2) processing and finally
> filedescriptor-passing via sockets.
>
> I have only followed this on the sideline, so I don't have all the
> details at hand and I can't really say how I would go about debugging
> it, probably by trying to reproduce it in single-user and then
> pouring printfs all over the kernel where filedescriptors gets
> created/destroyed, and try to figure out which one doesn't get there.

I fear this means I'm out of the game now.

Tomorrow I will reinstall the machine for a short test with 5.1-REL and
if this does not help, I will go back to 4-STABLE finally, to get
everything up and running. I hope there will be someone else who can
easily reproduce the problem, so it gets fixed.

I'd call it a surprise if someone after all had a fix within the next 10
hours or so.

Thanx for the help,

			Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |