Re: file descriptor leak in 5.2-RC

From: Oliver Brandmueller <ob_at_e-Gitt.NET>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:05:35 +0100
Hi.

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 01:15:30AM +0100, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> I fear this means I'm out of the game now.
>
> Tomorrow I will reinstall the machine for a short test with 5.1-REL and
> if this does not help, I will go back to 4-STABLE finally, to get
> everything up and running. I hope there will be someone else who can
> easily reproduce the problem, so it gets fixed.
>
> I'd call it a surprise if someone after all had a fix within the next 10
> hours or so.

The machine has been reinstalled with 5.1-RELEASE-p11 - the software has
the same setup as before. Everything works fine now, no leaking
descriptors. Even though it's a long time, but this at least means that
the bug was introduced somwehere between 5.1-RELEASE and 5.2-RCx

I cannot do further tests now with this machine, because I have to get
it out of the testing environment. There are some big steps between 5.1
and 5.2 (64 Bit statfs especially) which make it very difficult to go
forth and back in the -CURRENT tree without recompiling a lot of stuff,
which definitely keep me from further testing now.

I can make no promises on the following: I try to setup another machine
with a similar setup (much less powerful machine!) and try to reproduce
the problem sometime in the first weeks of the new year.

Thanx for the great help to even that point, have a hyppy new year,

	Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |