Re: debugging kse

From: Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 01:41:03 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I have a copy of webstone that will use kse available here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/webstone/

Here's a diff to eliminate TLS usage in webstone.  It can
be cleaned up further, and I can't see any reason for the
use of TLS.  Operations on FILE should be thread-safe and
the remaining uses of TLS were mostly for temporary string
manipulations.

  http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/webstone.diffs

I haven't enabled threads, but it should be simple enough.
Note that you want the parent thread to call alarm(), not
each child thread (client).  I'd have the parent thread use
sigwait() to catch the signal, set the flag for the other
clients to see, then join to the client threads.  I don't
see any need for synchronization objects/semaphores.

> It defaults to using kse, but with 5-current from today I see it spending
> a LOT of time in 'kserel' and not a lot of time doing work.  This appears
> to happen after I run it once, then ^C the proocess.
>
> What is that?  How can I debug this?

I don't know.  How can I run webstone?  I don't have a webserver
set up at home and only have a slow dialup connection.

--
Dan Eischen