Re: debugging kse

From: Alfred Perlstein <alfred_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:17:12 -0800
* Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com> [031227 22:41] wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > I have a copy of webstone that will use kse available here:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/webstone/
>
> Here's a diff to eliminate TLS usage in webstone.  It can
> be cleaned up further, and I can't see any reason for the
> use of TLS.  Operations on FILE should be thread-safe and
> the remaining uses of TLS were mostly for temporary string
> manipulations.
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/webstone.diffs
>
> I haven't enabled threads, but it should be simple enough.
> Note that you want the parent thread to call alarm(), not
> each child thread (client).  I'd have the parent thread use
> sigwait() to catch the signal, set the flag for the other
> clients to see, then join to the client threads.  I don't
> see any need for synchronization objects/semaphores.

heh!

A bit ahead of you over here...
http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/webstone/

> > It defaults to using kse, but with 5-current from today I see it spending
> > a LOT of time in 'kserel' and not a lot of time doing work.  This appears
> > to happen after I run it once, then ^C the proocess.
> >
> > What is that?  How can I debug this?
>
> I don't know.  How can I run webstone?  I don't have a webserver
> set up at home and only have a slow dialup connection.

You can have it hit localhost.  It's not too shabby, my version
respects the environment variable WEBSTONE_RSH, so if you set it
to "ssh" then have the agent running or non-passphrased keys you
can run it localcally.

--
- Alfred Perlstein
- Research Engineering Development Inc.