Re: 5.2-RC oerrs and collisions on dc0

From: Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak_at_ijs.si>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:50:03 +0100
On Tuesday 30 of December 2003 06:00, Doug White wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Dejan Lesjak wrote:
> > As I said in previous mail (but a bit further down) setting explicitly to
> > full-duplex doesn't help; I tried now also setting it to half-duplex and
> > the errors are still there.
>
> Mind you, both ends need to be forced for the right thing to happen.  If
> you only force one side, then the other usually ends up on half-duplex and
> you get the kinds of problems you're seeing.

Yes, I tried forcing both ends (after setting one end gave me input errors as
well, though) and errors and collisions are being pruduced at same rate.

On Monday 29 of December 2003 21:23, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> I haven't read the thread in question through completely, but I just want
> to make you guys aware that -current's if_dc has a bug where it will
> report _false_ collisions on many network cards.
>
> Example from one of my systems:
>
> dc0    1500 <Link#2>      00:20:78:0f:a0:a6 10307782     0 15428017     0
> 827213 dc0    1500 10.1.1/24     10.1.1.6          10304908     - 15428012
>    -     -
>
> However, I am not aware of it producing any output error messages, so that
> may be a real problem.

I'm glad to hear that reporting of errors might be false. So I setup some
monitoring of ports on both ends of cable, put apache on server with dc card
and made a cron job on another machine (on same switch) to fetch a file of
around 100MB every 5 minutes from server.
So things go thusly - on server side there is constant flow of output errors
and collisions with a peak at reboot. Collisions amount about 10% of output
errors, which about 0.1% of output traffic. On switch side there is only a
peak of input errors at server reboot, then there are no more errors.
I'm not entirely sure if I can make conclusions based on this, but this can
probably be false alarm then. Tell me if there is something more that I can
do to confirm that these are in fact false collisions and errors. Also if
seing graphs would help, they are on http://niobe.ijs.si/ewok/

Thanks everybody for help,
	Dejan