Re: burncd(8) CD-RW blanking problem

From: Lefteris Chatzibarbas <lefcha_at_hellug.gr>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:44:12 +0200
On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 09:08:00PM +0100, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems Lefteris Chatzibarbas wrote:
> > > I'm seeing this too.  What's odd is that my cd drive is reporting back
> > > incorrect sense information; the valid bit is not set, the asc/ascq is
> > > suspect (4/8), and the sense key specific data is all 0.  Since other
> > > fields in the sense data are reasonable, it's not as if no sense data is
> > > being returned at all.  So it looks like the CDRIOGETPROGRESS ioctl
> > > handler is doing the right thing, but the cd drive is not.  Maybe the
> > > driver is doing something wrong when it issues the erase command, but
> > > I can't convince myself that that is likely.
> >
> > The attached patch seems to correct the problem (at least for me).  It
> > is similar to what was done in revision 1.137 of sys/dev/ata/atapi-cd.c
> > (this has been changed since revision 1.138).
>
> Uh oh, that code breaks on lots of newer drives, especially DVD writers
> and drives of SONY origin.  There was a reason that code was removed :)

I guess those DVD writers do not return EBUSY, and burncd returns before
the drive has finished blanking?

Are CD-R(W) drives, like my TEAC CD-W524E, buggy, not returning correct
sense information (progress)? Or is it a -maybe hard to find- software
bug?

Should I file a PR?

Thanks a lot for answering any of these questions...

PS. I added the atapicam driver to the kernel, and I now use cdrecord
for the job...