Re: ATH card choices.

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:39:07 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, David Gilbert wrote:

> Doug> FWIW, I've had very good luck with my d-link DWL-AG650 pccard,
> Doug> and I imagine that the d-link mini-pci cards listed in ath(4)
> Doug> would work just as well. I tried the netgear a/b/g card before
> Doug> buying the d-link, and was very disappointed.
>
> I'm very nervous about DLink now.  I've had a few bad products from
> them and from LinkSys (although all my linksys products have died
> ... at least a few of my dlink are still working).

Yes, I understand what you mean. I tried the netgear+atheros a/b/g card
first because of my good experiences with netgear stuff, and was
bitterly disappointed. (Note to any hardware manufacturers reading this,
when I found a pccard that worked, I bought the matching WAP as well, so
netgear missed out on a big sale because "stuff" didn't work.)

> My big nit is that they often change chipsets without changing their
> product literature or even their product ID.  The sister card to this
> one you mention appears to not be the ath chipset as it's specs don't
> include the 108Mb mode that other ath devices seem to.

Sam keeps ath(4) pretty up to date, so if the card is listed there,
you'll have very good reliability that it's still atheros based. In any
case, you'll find out as soon as you fire it up. :)

Doug