Re: 5.1-R-p11 unable to "sync disks" when shutting down

From: David Gilbert <dgilbert_at_dclg.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 18:33:22 -0500

Doug> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, David Gilbert wrote:
>> I'd like to see:
>>
>> crash -> boot -> defer for bgfsck (but mark disk as having tried)
-> multiuser -> bgfsck -> crash -> boot -> fsck in foreground
-> multiuser
>>  ... but I believe this would require fsck support unless the
>> startup scripts were writing to the filesystem to indicate no
>> bgfsck.

Doug> What you propose would also be really complicated for other
Doug> reasons related to the way rcNG works. I would suggest that your
Doug> best bet is always:

Doug> crash -> boot single user -> fsck -y -> multiuser

Doug> That's pretty much guaranteed to work.

True, but faced with a machine that can't be upgraded (swap to vinum
not supported in 5.2) but still crashes every so often (once a month
or so), the non-background fsck (which is what we do now) takes 5 to
10 minutes (lotsa disk).

I think the above could be achieved by the smarts being in fsck.  It
would refuse to background if the already-tried bit was set.  I
believe this would work without rc changes.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave_at_daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |