Re: 5.1-R-p11 unable to "sync disks" when shutting down

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:55:18 -0600
On Wednesday 31 December 2003 05:33 pm, David Gilbert wrote:
> True, but faced with a machine that can't be upgraded (swap to vinum
> not supported in 5.2)

What I ended up doing so that I could run 5.2 on a couple of my "all RAID5 all
the time" servers was this:

1. Create a UFS filesystem on the "swap" partition and mount it noatime,sync
2. Use dd to create the biggest file possible on the new filesystem
3. Use swapfile="/swap/bigfile" in rc.conf, which uses an md device with vnode
backing and enables swapping on it.

It's a massive hack and there is probably a performance hit, but it seems to
work...

Craig