Experiences with ath(4)

From: Lukas Ertl <l.ertl_at_univie.ac.at>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 12:39:54 +0200 (CEST)
Hi there,

I just bought a Netgear WAG511 card and a Netgear WG602 Accesspoint. I
run the card in 11g mode under current, and I'm having some problems:

*) Powersavemode seems to be not supported at all (and thus it eats the
battery like a "make world"):

# ifconfig ath0 powersave on
ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid argument

*) Shared Key Authentication seems to be not supported either:

# ifconfig ath0 authmode shared
ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid argument

*) If I turn on the debug.ieee80211 sysctl, I see the following messages
in 30sec- to 2min-intervals:

ieee80211_new_state: RUN -> AUTH
ieee80211_new_state: AUTH -> AUTH
ieee80211_new_state: AUTH -> ASSOC
ieee80211_new_state: ASSOC -> RUN

   (I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour.)

*) I'm seeing a lot of input errors on the interface:

# netstat -i -I ath0
Name    Mtu Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
Coll
ath0   1500 <Link#3>      00:09:5b:41:8d:ac     2054 67646     2058    42
0

*) Finally, there seems to be a problem with interaction between the AP
and my ADSL router (I'm not sure if this is a FreeBSD problem, I need to
test with WinXP too). My LAN looks something like this:

   WLAN Client )))  ((( AP --- Switch --- ADSL router

                         other hosts in LAN

The ADSL router (a Speedtouch 510) does NAT. Everything seems to work
fine, but after some time, all connections from the WLAN client to the
outside world have died. I can connect to the other hosts in the LAN just
fine, though, and there are no further messages in the log files.
The quickest way to make it work again, is pulling the card out and plug
it back it. Any ideas?

regards,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl_at_univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073