Re: The upcoming GCC 3.3+ upgrade

From: Alexander Kabaev <ak03_at_gte.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:35:28 -0400
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org> wrote:

> p.s. this does not mean that I do not appreciate the work you are
> doing to keep our compiler up to date.. Keep up the good work.

Julian,

there was nothing in your question that could possibly offend me. I do
not take comments about GCC suckage personally. Yes, GCC 3.3 compilation
speed is likely to suffer a bit compared to 3.2, although the change
should be pretty minimal. There are examples where GCC 3.3 even beats
3.2 in compilation speed, but I would not keep much hope :)

The GCC folks have started to take compilation speed seriously in 3.4
branch, we'll see if changed attitude will make a difference in their
next major release.

For now I am pretty happy that a newer compiler did not overflow boot2
block. This is nice compared with a stable trend demonstrated by _all_
previous releases.

--
Alexander Kabaev