Re: The upcoming GCC 3.3+ upgrade

From: Alexander Kabaev <ak03_at_gte.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 18:10:25 -0400
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:26:40 -0600 (MDT)
"M. Warner Losh" <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:

> In message: <20030709170956.621dc901.ak03_at_gte.com>
>             Alexander Kabaev <ak03_at_gte.com> writes:
> : GCC 3.3+ will be a system compiler throughout RELENG_5 lifetime.
>
> Thanks for the excellent summary.  However, can you be a little more
> explicit as to the time frame that 3.3 will happen?

I hope to do the import tonight, subject to free time availability.

I've got several messages over the last couple of weeks from people
asking me to get the compiler in sooner rather than later. It will take
time to address all the issues with broken ports, new warnings in the
kernel etc, and we want to address them in time for 5.2.

The patches for GCC 3.3 were circulating for a quite some time now and
Kris did a package building pass on a package cluster with them
recently. The run finished with 703 ports broken. I am not sure how many
were broken before, but I am pretty sure the change is significant.
http://211.43.211.135/errorlogs/i386-5-full/

David O'Brien did a lot of work to eliminate majority of the problems
within our src/ tree, and thanks to him the tree is in a very good shape
for GCC 3.3. Kernel is worse, especially on 64-bit platforms, hence my
decision to temporarily disable -Werror. The world/kernel compiles have
been tested on all Tier 1 platforms + amd64. My SMP Intel box has been
running with GCC 3.3 since May.

--
Alexander Kabaev