Re: The upcoming GCC 3.3+ upgrade

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:45:51 -0700
On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 06:10:25PM -0400, Alexander Kabaev wrote:

> The patches for GCC 3.3 were circulating for a quite some time now and
> Kris did a package building pass on a package cluster with them
> recently. The run finished with 703 ports broken. I am not sure how many
> were broken before, but I am pretty sure the change is significant.
> http://211.43.211.135/errorlogs/i386-5-full/

About 1900 fewer packages built than on the previous 5.x build,
although there were only about another 500 ports that failed to build
(the rest were not built because they depend on a broken package).

Most of the new breakage (on i386) is from 3 or 4 causes, and should
be mostly mechanical to fix.  I'll try and coordinate an effort to fix
these problems on ports_at_ once the new gcc is committed, and we develop
some sample patches to fix the various new kinds of breakage to
demonstrate to others how to do it.

Kris