Re: NVidia driver stability?

From: Jeremy Messenger <mezz7_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:34:44 -0500
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:43:34 -0500, Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) with the
> new nvidia driver on CURRENT?  So far I've found it to be pretty
> unstable...  I tried reverting back to 5.1-RELEASE and recompiling the
> driver (i'm installing it from the port), but no luck.

On 5.1-RELEASE and old 5.1-CURRENT, I can use NVIDIA's AGP GART Driver
until one or two weeks ago of 5.1-CURRENT, I am not able to use it any
longer. It will lock my machine very hard, which only way I can do is turn
the power off then boot into single to disable it. Current, I am stuck with
FreeBSD's AGP GART driver (agp.ko) with Nvidia and it works great, but the
perferomce descrease.

NVIDIA's AGP GART Driver = The glxgears will go over 3600 fps.
FreeBSD's AGP GART driver = The glxgears will go over 2500 fps.

I really have no idea how I can debug, because it only will lock up the
machine very hard.

============================
nvidia0_at_pci1:5:0:       class=0x030000 card=0x88911462 chip=0x028110de
rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
    device   = 'GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP 8x [NV28]'
    class    = display
    subclass = VGA

Note: The problem is same on old and new of Nvidia driver, they both behave
same.

Cheers,
Mezz

--