Re: FFS_ROOT is gone?

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:12:00 -0700
Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Let's see what Tim can contribute to this topic, since he also claimed to
> have problems with "mountroot>"

I installed FreeBSD (I think it was 5.0-RELEASE) on a hard disk
attached to ad0. It worked, I tested it.

I reconnected the hard disk to a separate IDE controller as ad4.

The kernel booted, failed to mount root (as expected), and
presented a "mountroot>" prompt.

If I typed something invalid, the system rebooted.
If I typed something valid, I got a "mountroot>" prompt again.

In short, nothing I did would coerce the kernel
into actually mounting root.

Finally, I put the disk back on ad0,
edited /etc/fstab and moved it back to ad4.
That worked just fine.

In short, "mountroot>" seems to do nothing
if the kernel's initial attempt fails.

Tim