Problems with fxp0 on T30 with 5.1-RELEASE

From: stark <stark_at_jeamland.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:26:49 -0400 (EDT)
http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10676

This has more info confirming that it's not just me :)

Anyways, I'm willing to try anything: I'm installing 5.1 from CD
(BSD Mall!  YAY!) and am VERY VERY VERY happy that acpi (appears to be)
is working perfectly!  (I had to retrograde to 4.x because it was
so broken with 5.0 and this is my first return to 5.x land since then :)

The problem :
"fxp0: device timeout"
appears continuously (about every 15 seconds) while interface is UP

details :
- IBM T30 laptop, Windows says it's an Intel Pro/100 VE
- 5.1-RELEASE (can't cvsup, network doesn't work :)
- only happens when device is UP (ifconfig down causes the error to go away)
- mii appears to work correctly : ifconfig shows the link status correctly
  instantly (10/100/none, full/half duplex) and it updates when i remove
  the cable. Also, the mac address shows up correctly.

I don't have anything added to the laptop, no cardbus devices, no usb
devices, so i'm not sure what's causing the problem, but like I said,
I'm willing to try anything out if you have any suggestions :)

Dana Lacoste
Ottawa, Canada