Re: Problems with fxp0 on T30 with 5.1-RELEASE

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:24:34 -0700
> From: "stark" <stark_at_jeamland.ca>
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:26:49 -0400 (EDT)
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10676
>
> This has more info confirming that it's not just me :)
>
> Anyways, I'm willing to try anything: I'm installing 5.1 from CD
> (BSD Mall!  YAY!) and am VERY VERY VERY happy that acpi (appears to be)
> is working perfectly!  (I had to retrograde to 4.x because it was
> so broken with 5.0 and this is my first return to 5.x land since then :)
>
> The problem :
> "fxp0: device timeout"
> appears continuously (about every 15 seconds) while interface is UP
>
> details :
> - IBM T30 laptop, Windows says it's an Intel Pro/100 VE
> - 5.1-RELEASE (can't cvsup, network doesn't work :)
> - only happens when device is UP (ifconfig down causes the error to go away)
> - mii appears to work correctly : ifconfig shows the link status correctly
>   instantly (10/100/none, full/half duplex) and it updates when i remove
>   the cable. Also, the mac address shows up correctly.
>
> I don't have anything added to the laptop, no cardbus devices, no usb
> devices, so i'm not sure what's causing the problem, but like I said,
> I'm willing to try anything out if you have any suggestions :)

This is really odd. I run 5.1 (actually CURRENT) on a T30 and have not
seen this for some time. You may need to go to CURRENT.

It may be an issue with some interaction. I will attach my
configuration files and dmesg for my T30.

Are you running ACPI or APM? I am running APM.

The only IRQ assignments shown in ps2 are:
Serial	 4
PCI	 11
IDE2	 15

Of course, other IRQs are in use, but they are not configurable. (psm,
IDE1, keyboard, clock, ...). The fxp0 uses the shared PCI IRQ.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)