Re: gcc-3.3 issues

From: Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:23:35 -0500
[For some reason I haven't seen Alexander's post yet, so I'm mixing
 replies here.]

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 06:12:10PM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Friday 18 July 2003 17:37, Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:33:58 -0500
> >
> > "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > > I also recall lots of missing `typename's in the system headers that
> > > were resolved in the actual GCC distribution.
> > >
> > > Alexander, do the STL headers et. al. get updated with the rest of the
> > > compiler chain?
> >
> > Yes. But libstdc++ itself lags a bit behind GCC features. The reason why
> > GCC ports are not reporting any errors is because by default GCC
> > suppresses warnings from system headers, and C++ headers are considered
> > system. We disable this suppression in imported compiler.

Ah, that didn't occur to me.  Duh.  I guess we shall just wait for
libstdc++ to catch up --- it looks like at least some of these issues
are already fixed in GCC CVS.

> I guess the next question is whether this is fixable, maybe even by enabling
> said supression, at least for a short while. It seems the better fix than to
> go and remove -pedantic from all the helloworlds that may linger in the
> ports-tree.

Even when libstdc++ is updated, we'll still be left with warnings from
C-derived headers, such as the `long long' stuff.  That should be
fixable in some other fashion, but such discussion probably belongs on
freebsd-standards_at_.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   . NTT/Verio SME      . FreeBSD UNIX       . Heimdal
nectar_at_celabo.org . jvidrine_at_verio.net . nectar_at_freebsd.org . nectar_at_kth.se